Saturday, March 8, 2008

Things I learned in Australia

So, after 5 1/2 weeks in Australia, I have finally had to say goodbye to Kate & Annika. But, I can definitely say, I have learned many things - most I don't think will be useful again, but you never know.



1) Wet season really means wet - not just an occasional shower. Do not expect a sun tan. Do not bring a beach towel.

2) All of the interesting animals are nocturnal.

3) People really say g'day.

4) There are crazy looking and crazy sounding birds in Australia - some can kill you.

5) It is possible to get tired of visiting wineries. But never of drinking the wine.

6) When something seems odd, always ask. You never know when you will be trapped because the only road is suddenly closed for a car race.

7) There is such a thing as a snorkel for a car - and there was a point when I wish we had one.

8) There are camels in Australia!

9) Apparently Australian drivers need to be reminded that falling asleep at the wheel is bad - tons of road signs that were not blunt - eg - "Drowsy drivers die."

10) There is a way to shorten everything - my favorites are rego for car registration, journo for journalist, and on the tv on a Saturday when they were advertising a show for next Monday, it just said Monday Week.

11) Yet there are a few words they make longer such as bread roll (aren't all rolls made out of bread?)

12) I can actually go to sleep with grasshoppers in my bedroom...well when I have been beaten and have failed in chasing them away.

13) You are really in the middle of nowhere when you can sit in the middle of the road and eat ice cream.

14) Conversations with random guys may be worthwhile - you can laugh about them for days later.

15) Fly nets are an essential accessory - especially when trying to enjoy a picnic in the outback.

16) Make sure to have Tim Tams before a night of drinking - bad things can happen if chocolate isn't around.

17) You shouldn't drive in the evening b/c you may hit a roo. (Luckily we never did.)

18) Even I can get tired of peanut butter.

19) Never travel without a supply of wine, again you never know when you will be stuck watching a car race.

No comments: